What is Consumer Immersion?
It is a type of ethnographic research whereby employees of a company experience business from a customer point of view. The process of immersion depends on the company and its industry so it would thus vary. The end result of consumer immersion as a research tool would enable employees to better understand their customers. In other words, employees can then gain experience into what their customers’ world is about.
- To gain an in-depth understanding the actual customer experience of the potential product/service.
- To gain a detailed understanding of customer perceptions, customer behaviour, customer experience and decision-making process to identify needs and unmet needs in the market.
METHODOLOGY AND DELIVERABLES:
- An ethnographic-style in-depth interview (3-4hrs) with target consumers in their homes.
- In addition to a semi-structured conversation, we will get the consumers to describe their shopping/product experiences using a “think-aloud” approach to better understand what they are thinking.
- For some products and categories we place the product in-home so consumers can use and experience the product. We do a pre-placement interview and get consumers to complete diaries and take photographs to describe their usage and experience. After usage, we conduct a detailed final discussion.
- We take a short video clip of each consumer to provide further insight about the actual experience and perceptions of the core communication target market.